Friday, January 30, 2009

Salvation: it's about a relationship, not a religion.

When my grandmom died, we went to Virginia for her memorial service, and while there did a little sightseeing. One of the things we visited, was the house my sister was born in (that's her and hubby), and I was saved in at the age of four.

I usually was allowed to sleep though the service, and I woke up for the end...and the preacher was giving the plan of salvation, and mentioned during the invitation that you could not be saved until you knew you were a sinner. Well, I really really wanted to be saved...but what could I do? I was NOT a sinner!! (this is a four year old's mind) Only one thing to do..I'd better get to sinning. And quick!

We lived on an old farm/cattle ranch, and we had to pass through cow gates to reach our home. At each one, my mom would turn to me and say "Now you stay in the car! I'll be right back", and go open the gate, drive through, and lock the gate again. Well, I thought this was the perfect chance to become a sinner!

I stepped out of the car..and right into a cow patty! My mom was furious, took me home, spanked my bottom, and sent me to my room. It was bugging her that I was not crying, but seemed pleased to be punished, so she crept up the stairs to spy on me. I was kneeling by my bed, telling Jesus I was a sinner, and would He please wash away my sins and save me so I could go to heaven?

Well, my dad brought me down to the couch, and explained things to me, and talked about a lot of big words like "redemption" and "transgression" that I can clearly remember not understanding, but although I can't remember much of my childhood, I remember details about that day like the color of the fabric on the couch where I got saved, November 24, 1974. Baptized the next Sunday night in church.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." - John 3:16-20

"But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." - Romans 10:8-11

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Hi I love it, anything old and worn I seem to adore, hugs and thanks for the link stop by and visit me at http://bakinnbitsbarbara.blogspot.com/
Lots of hugs, Barbara